What is a Lap Band Surgery?
Lap band surgery (lap banding or gastric banding or gastric band surgery) is performed for overweight and obese patients to help them achieve their weight loss goals. It is the change in appetite related to restriction that follows after undergoing the weight loss surgery that enables them to lose weight and also improve their overall health. As part of the surgery, an adjustable gastric band made of silicone is placed at the top part of the stomach to create a small pouch. The size of the pouch can be easily adjusted in office by a simple few minute procedure.
How does a gastric band or lap band work?
The gastric band serves to reduce the hunger experienced by a patient. This means that he/she needs to eat only small portions to feel satisfied. When an adjustable band is placed at the top portion of your stomach, the sensory cells in the top portion of the stomach send message to the brain and you feel satisfied.
A gastric band surgery enables obese people to achieve long-term weight loss. However, they have to commit to following a healthier lifestyle and a specified diet. As they lose weight, obesity-related health conditions such as Type-2 diabetes also improve.
Who is the gastric band best for?
The gastric band is suitable for people who:
- has a BMI higher than 35.
- Have failed medical weight loss
- are determined, motivated patients, who are ready to work hard with the LAGB and show up clinic regularly.
What Can You Expect during Lap Band Surgery, Jacksonville FL?
The surgery is done under general anesthesia. The surgery is performed using a laparoscope or camera using minimal invasive technique.. The keyhole surgery is usually completed in 30 minutes. The best lap band surgeon Jacksonville will create a small tunnel around the top portion of the stomach and lap band is placed which is attached to a port in the abdominal wall. A portion of your lower stomach is folded over the band and stitched to the upper stomach pouch to keep it place.
The band is inflated or deflated to adjust the size of the stomach opening from the upper to lower pouch through the injection port. This is done to control the speed of the emptying of the pouch.
Lap Band Surgery in Jacksonville FL: Recovery and Aftercare
This surgery is performed as an outpatient and you should be able to go home in just a few hours after the procedure.
You will have fluids during the first few weeks. After that, you can advance to soft pureed food. and finally solid food in few weeks.
Our expert team at Newlife surgical associates will explain to you the diet and exercise to be followed to ensure a healthier lifestyle. The diet plan would include recommendations as regards your food choices and the amount you can consume.
You would be asked to have a follow up appointments for gastric band adjustments. Several adjustments may be required to reach the right restriction. Our expert team at Lap Band Surgery in Jacksonville FL do all the adjustments under fluoroscopic guidance which is very objective and accurate. In general, it takes about a week for you to recover from the gastric band surgery.
what are the advantages of Lap Band Surgery or Gastric Band Surgery?
Least invasive surgery for weight loss
- No intestinal rerouting; no cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length of stay and recovery time
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- No risk of “dumping syndrome” typically associated with gastric bypass
- Adjustable band allows the surgeon to customize how food flows from one part of the stomach to the other, which is ideal for long-term weight loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Approved for use during pregnancy
- Removable at any time
What are the Risks of Gastric Band Surgery?
- This is a very safe surgery and risks of complications and death are very low
- The probability of death is less than 1 in 5,000
- The most common complication that can happen is the slipping of LAGB; however, the risk can be significantly reduced by regular follow up and good eating behaviours. Gastric erosion is a rare but serious long term complication.
- Weight loss tends to be slower and less than with gastric sleeve or gastric bypass procedures
Choosing the best Gastric Band or Lap Band Surgeon in Jacksonville FL
We at New Life Surgical provide the best-personalized weight loss surgery to our patients. We offer all the the approved surgeries for weight loss with wide range of options.
We are the experts in providing the best long term after care after lap band surgery. we have the most advanced equipment and x ray machines to provide the optimum care. Our team at New life surgical associates also have the most experience and expertise if you need a conversion surgery or have complications
Our team led by Dr. Sunil Sharma, MD is one of the leading Robotic and Bariatric surgeons, with the experience of more than 20 years. Get in touch with our team and we will be happy to answer all your questions and offer the best care you deserve.